Saturday, November 14, 2009

what have the Nielsen's been doing?

I know it's been awhile since I last wrote. What can I say we were having fun, going to school, working really hard, enjoying time with family, trying to stay healthy, staying up way to late, hanging with friends and trying to catch up on some sleep.
That is pretty much what we have been doing. But I will throw in some highlights to make us sound cooler than we really are.
Jersey- has been doing great in school. She was asked to be in a reading program at school to give her some extra help in that area. I had a hard time with this, because I was in a reading program myself at her age. I had some major reservations but I am pleased to say that I have seen some amazing results. She has become a reading machine. Reading everything we see on the streets and t.v.
We had her parent teacher conference last month and her teacher gave her great marks. She did score low on comprehension though. Her teacher explained that when she would ask Jersey a question like " What would you do if you were the cow in the story?" Jersey would respond " I'm not a cow" So then the teacher would reword the question "How would you feel if you were the cow in the story" Jersey again would respond to her by saying " I don't know how I would feel because I'm not a cow" I'm glad that she knows she is not a cow. Her teacher also told us that she is really great in math. The teacher would ask the children what number would be missing in a series of numbers. Jersey was able to point out the missing number and give reasoning behind why that would be the correct number.
Because of her polite way she defends her answers and explains herself when other disagree, her teacher award her a Principal's pride award. Mike and I were able to attend a lunch for those that got the award. We brought her favorite lunch and got to watch her stand up as the Principal read her award. I'm very proud that I have a daughter who is willing to speak her mind and be polite all at the same time.
After the luncheon we were able to watch Jersey play on the playground at recess. She was so excited to show-off her parents. She would introduce us to all her friends. It was quite cute to hear how she introduced us. She would say " this is my mom, Rhiannon, can you say Rhiannon? it's a really hard name." Then she would introduce Mike by saying " This is my dad, Mike, he works at Snowbird" She loved showing us how she could cross the monkey bars backwards. She did this multiple times in a row. I was impressed.
Phoenix, has been enjoying school. He asks everyday if it's Wednesday so he can go to school. He wishes everyday was Wednesday so he could be there at school. He recently has been working on how to spell his name. He is doing a fantastic job. He can spell it but some how a "b" ends up in the name. "Phboenix" He is a great listener at school his teacher says. He is also an artist at school and at home.
Last Saturday I asked him to clean his room. While I was mopping the floor I could hear him singing in his room. I asked him what he was doing and he replied "nothing" I looked in his room and discovered marker all over his wall. I brought him a wet towel and asked him to clean it up. He wasn't happy with me, claiming that I didn't love him anymore because he had to wipe the walls. I know I'm such a hater.
He has also become very opinionated, when were thinking of Halloween and what costume he wanted to wear. He decided on Luke Skywalker. But not just any Luke Skywalker costume. He wanted to wear all black and have a glove one hand. Like the Luke in Retun of the Jedi. We found a lightsaber at the D.I. that lit up and when you hit something, would have a crashing sound added to it. It was quite cute on Halloween at our neighborhood trunk or treat because his best friend was a clone trooper.
As for Mike and I, we have been super busy with work and just life. Our ward split a few weeks ago and Mike was called to be the new Scoutmaster. He is excited for this role. He will get to go to scout camp again this next year which he is thrilled about. He is also excited about being in charge and the planning of things.
He last week he got to go to Florida for a conference for work. He enjoyed himself while he was gone. He would have loved to play a round of golf and I would have said yes but when he told me that for 18 holes it was $150 dollars, we were both a little disturbed with the price tag.
My job has been keeping me busy. I can't say I don't mind the paycheck but the hours are hard. Sometimes I'm getting home 1 to 2 am. It is not easy getting up by 7:30am and by the end of the week all I want to do is lay around.
My friends and I, in an attempt to not spend money and be more frugal. Get together after we drop the kids off in the morning to make a craft. We made some fun Halloween decorations. We made some countdown blocks, a spooky Halloween tree, a cricut Nativity scene, a "Wicked" sign, and this week we made some Thanksgiving blocks. Though I was suppose to be saving money, all I could do is think about how I could spend some money on a cricut. It's a amazing machine. I have enjoyed these mornings of crafting, it makes me feel like I have accomplished something and not just having a clean house.
In the middle of last month I got the opportunity to go to my Uncle Darin's sealing to his wife Chablis and their two children. They had a beautiful ceremony. It was great to see their little boys dressed in white. I was also happy to have company. Since finishing the basement I have been wanting people to come and stay with us. We had a house full of them. My two Aunts and their families stayed with us as well as my Grandma Connie. I enjoyed having them here and see how they were excited for the changing of the leaves which was in full force. On Sunday while they were here we had the chance to go to the conference center and have regional conference. President Monson spoke. I ate up every word. Phoenix was especially excited because he has been saying every since General Conference that he wants to grow up and be like his hero President Monson. He sat still during conference.
With our ward split, the chorister (my neighbor) asked if I could fill in for her last Sunday. I didn't really want to, Mike encouraged me or I would say, made fun of me for saying no, that I said yes to leading the music in sacrament. I told my neighbor at first that I could only lead the music if it was 4/4 time. Well lucky for me it was. I was so nervous. I wanted to look cute, wearing something amazing, have a good hair day. When I asked if I looked good I got I looked "fine" I was not happy to that response. I didn't want to look "fine" I wanted to looked "great, beautiful, pretty" When I got to church my other friend, who is the organist, told me she doesn't follow the chorister at all and not to worry most people aren't watching and the other half don't know what you are doing. I was really hoping this was true. I sang my heart out I hope no one could here me now that I think about it. After the first song my arm was hurting. So I tried to not to look like a robot on the rest of the songs. I was scared that I would fall over wearing my heels standing on the stage. I took my shoes off then I got nervous that no one could see me over the podium. After all it, I felt good like I did a good job. Lots of people asked if that was my new calling. I am hoping not. When I was singing a song I was trying to remember the the tips my 8th grade choir director would give us, to stand up straight and to open our mouths, not to hold the letter "s" in words, and to enunciate our words. I would have made her proud.
Now as this month is almost half way over, we are preparing for Snowbird. Our annual vacation. We are hoping for a good snow before then. It was snowing hard today so hopefully it won't melt away to soon. I would love to snowboard this year but I'm a little afraid of a repeat from last year. I'm also glad that Jersey is off track for a few weeks. Maybe I can catch up on some sleep. I hope to post more little posts about our time off then one big one. But who knows, I'm sure we will get thrown some type of curve ball that will put blogging on the back burner.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I was wondering where you'd gone. Welcome back!

mad white woman said...

Now that was a healthy update. It's fun to read about your kids and their progress. I also think you are brave for leading the music in Sacrament Meeting. That would sceeee-aaare me.